Lady dies from uncommon Powassan virus in Connecticut, well being division say

A Connecticut resident has died from a uncommon however doubtlessly harmful tick-borne sickness.

The state's Division of Public Well being introduced Tuesday a deadly case of Powassan virus, which is transmitted by means of the chew of an contaminated woodchuck tick.

The individual was a New London County lady in her 90s, well being officers reported.

She grew to become ailing in early Might and was admitted to a neighborhood hospital with fever, altered psychological standing, headache, chills, rigors, chest ache and nausea

This incident reminds us that residents have to take actions to stop tick bites now by the late fall

Division of Public Well being Commissioner Manisha Juthani wrote in a launch.

Usually it takes a week to 1 month after the chunk from an contaminated tick for an individual to develop signs of POWV illne